Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Softball

Another year of softball is over :( We have so much fun every year. This year I was especially nervous because I missed out last year and was pretty out of practice at the beginning of the season - even though I think the first game I did my best out of all the games.

The season high -
About half way through the season we played the toughest team in our league - they always end up in first place and are very hard to beat. At that time we were undefeated and so were they - so the pressure was on! We were behind most of the game, we had a bad couple of innings in the beginning and were trying to play catch up the whole game. By the last inning we were down by 4 runs - 5 to 9. We ended up getting some people on base, got a couple home and it was getting close. I was base coaching 3rd and was enjoying watching everyone round the bases :) Then we get down to the wire - bases loaded, 2 outs and we're tied 9 to 9. And guess who's up? Heidi! I was thinking "Great, and we were doing so well..." I can't handle pressure and I hadn't been hitting well all night so I was not expecting much - I just kept thinking, "Ok, we can go into extra innings and still have a chance, at least we're tied". I hit in right field and the second baseman knew it and was catching every single one of my balls. I decided I'd try to let the pitcher walk me, because he had been doing that to many people, but when the first pitch was a strike I decided I needed to start swinging. So I swung... I hit the ball, but it didn't go very far, it was in the in-field heading in between 2nd and 1st and the second baseman looked like she was right on it. I put my head down and ran as fast as I could to 1st - getting there a split second before the ball did!! - Kevin was on 3rd and ran home and we won! It was so exciting! Definitely the highlight of the season for me :)
Season low -
I'm tempted to say when I probably had a small concusion, but that wasn't it. One of the last games I collided with 2 big guys at 2nd base - one guy took out my feet so I started falling, smacked my face into the other guys hard head, then fell to the ground and smacked it once again in the dirt. I layed there crying for a while (wuss! There's no crying in baseball!! :) ) But I didn't want to stop playing so I toughed it out the rest of the game - luckily no balls came my way because I was pretty dizzy. I had a pretty strong, pounding headache for about 3 days - not to mention the huge bruise I got on my thigh from falling. BUT - that was not the low point - because we won that game :) We actually won all our games - up until the last game... we lost 3 to 5 - THAT was the low point. I did terrible and we should have beat them, but we lost and it was sad. The one thing that makes me feel a little better is that we still got 1st place, even though we didn't get our perfect season.
I'm sad it's over, I look forward to it every year and it seems like the Fall league hasn't been working out because of everyone's schedules so I'm sad about that.
Until next year I guess...

0 comments: