Sunday, July 5, 2015

Scary

This picture was taken while Kevin was walking around with a burst appendix that was festering and infecting his insides and we didn't even know it :(
On July 12th, 2014 we went to a friend's wedding and left early because Kevin's stomach was hurting. Neither of us thought much of it, he was just feeling unusually bloated and uncomfortable, something that he had been feeling off and on for a couple weeks but it wasn't hurting him too bad. The next day was a sunday and he woke up in even more pain. I kept telling him I thought he should go in and get checked out if he felt that bad. He would get up and try to walk around, then he'd be doubled over the couch in pain and he'd lay back down. He just kept saying that he felt like he was full of air and just couldn't get it out. I finally convinced him to call urgent care. They asked if he had a fever, which he didn't, so they told him to go get some miralax, take one dose, another that night, and another in the morning and call them back in the morning if it hadn't gotten any better. He took one dose, layed down and pretty soon said that it was getting worse. So I stayed home with the kids while he drove himself to urgent care. I called Mom and let her know that I might need her help, depending on what they said. It didn't take long to get a call from Kevin that they were sending him to the ER because they thought it was appendicitis. I had him come and get me and Kolby and my mom came to watch the other kiddos and we were off, but I could not get him there quick enough. He was in a LOT of pain and I was really worried about it rupturing since it had been hurting him for so long. We rush to the ER and then we sit... and sit... and sit... Man I was so mad! We sat in the waiting room for probably 45 minutes, even though they knew we were coming and he was doubled over in pain, and no one else in the room even acted like they were in pain at all. Once they checked him in they started saying that they didn't even think that it was appendicitis. He had no fever and when they pushed on that area and let go it wasn't the typical pain that they would expect - he was just in pain constantly and pushing or letting go didn't make any difference at all. Then they sent us back out to the waiting room for a little while.  It was then when I asked the nurse, "what if it is appendicitis and it bursts?" and she said, "Oh, it's not going to burst!! He'd be passed out or throwing up if it was going to burst" and that's a QUOTE. They FINALLY got us back in the ER, took him to get a CT scan and VERY quickly rushed in and said, "It's appendicitis, and it's a really bad one" His appendix was so swollen and huge and it had thick stuff all around it, then we had to wait for the surgeon to get there. They brought him back and explained how it's a routine surgery, takes about 45 min and they will try to do it lapriscopically, but if it's too big they would have to cut him. The nurses were reassuring Kevin that some people are up and back to work in a few days, so Kevin was expecting to wake up and feel so much better and be on the mend quickly.
So I went to the waiting room, the surgical waiting room, at night, all by myself with my 1 month old baby, playing with his wedding ring on my thumb, and praying and praying and praying. 45 minutes passed and I was expecting someone to walk in any minute and let me know how it went. Kevin's Dad came to sit with us and wait. And time kept ticking by, and kept ticking by... Pretty soon it was 1 1/2 hours and I felt myself very steadily freaking out more and more and more. I was sick to my stomach, and my mind kept going to terrible places and I couldn't control it. I started wondering the halls trying to find someone to help me. I found my way back to the ER and asked them to check on him and it took her a while to figure out that they found the appendix was too big and inflamed to get laproscopically so they had to cut him open and that's what was taking longer. So once again, we waited, and worried, and PRAYED.
At almost 3 HOURS since they took him back, the surgeon came out and let me know that his appendix did burst, and it was bad. She said she's done thousands of appendectomy's and she's never seen one that bad. :( She said "He must have an extremely high pain tolerance to have been walking around like that for that long" He was going to have to stay in the hospital for a week to make sure they get the infection out, and it was going to be hard. Kevin woke up in a ton of pain, and they just couldn't get it under control. They had a really hard time getting him to get up and walk around. He was in so much pain he just did not want to move. I think it was Monday night that I went to visit him and they tried to get him up and walking and he just could not do it, it was one of the worst things I've ever seen, my heart just broke for him and I was just so so worried. They kept telling him that he was going to get pnemonia if he didn't get up and moving. Finally we got a hard-ass nurse that pretty much forced him up and wouldn't take no for an answer and we walked around the hallway. When we got back to his room and he layed down he said he felt SO much better - Thank God!
That was the worst week of my life. I have never ever been so scared in my life. I cannot do this life without my husband, my partner, my best friend, the best Daddy in the world to my 4 precious babies. I was already adjusting to 4 babies and had all sorts of hormones running through my body, and to have to see my hubby in that much pain and worry about him pulling through was something that I hope I never have to go through again. I love him with all my heart, and so do my babies. Thank God he was able to pull through. I feel so bad that he had to be in so much pain for so long and had such a terrible recovery. He is the strongest man I will ever know, and it's a good thing because I don't think a lot of people would have been able to pull through that. It was terrible. I can't say it enough - Thank God he is ok!!!

0 comments: