Sunday, June 17, 2012

Garden - planting!!!

Memorial Day is also the day that we got the plants in the garden. The kids had a lot of fun helping. We did sunflowers from seed, which Gracie helped with.



And Bradley helped me put the plants in - seedlings (right? :) ) I am not ashamed to admit that this is my first attempt and I know I will do things wrong and will learn as I go, but I'm not COMPLETELY clueless about gardens. Everyone was over for the BBQ when I started planting and Bill (bless his heart for trying to help me :) ) came over and was explaining to me that I needed to take the plants OUT of the plastic before I planted them - I don't know a whole lot, but I knew that!!! Silly Poppy. BUT one mistake that I would have definitely made without Bill's help is the tomato cages - I always thought they had the pointy part at the top and the circle on the bottom - not the other way. Oops! :) Good thing he was there to help me with that :)



This was the day we planted, we have the sunflower seeds on the left, then tomatoes, then 2 rows of different sweet peppers, then zucchini on the end.
This picture is 2 weeks later. It was SO exciting to see the sunflowers starting to come up - all the sudden something was there :) I think next time I'll do the spacing differently, I did 2 rows of sunflowers - 2 different kinds and only one row came up for some reason, so the left part of the garden is pretty bare - then on the other side the zucchinis are taking over, but at least they're on the end so I can kind of drape them over the edge if needed. The dogs are being very good and not bothering it at all. I just went out yesterday to look things over with Dad and Jan when they came over for fathers day and there was a tiny sunflower sprout laying on the dirt, I picked it up and asked Gracie if she pulled it out and she very proudly and matter-of-factly told me "yes", so we'll really have to watch her to make sure she leaves things alone :) I am so excited to actually see the veggies appear and be able to pick them and eat them. I'm so proud of myself for not killing everything :) Yay me :)

0 comments: