I was hoping Bradley would get the cast on Monday. The faster the better since I knew it would be safer and easier for him to do more things. AND because I was hoping to talk to the Dr about t-ball before the first game. The more I thought about it, the more I thought we could still make it work for him. His left wrist is broken and he's right handed (thank goodness), so he can't put a glove on that hand, but he can still throw with his right. I figured if he was always in outfield that would work since the ball hardly ever gets out there in t-ball anyway, and if it does it would just roll to him and he could pick it up and throw it in. Batting would be harder, Kevin mentioned one handed but I just kept picturing the bat slipping out of his one hand and flying into the crowd. I figured maybe he could at least support it with his left arm and adjust his swing that way. BUT I wanted to talk to the Dr to make sure it wouldn't in anyway be risking him hurting himself more. Also, I was worried at first about the team letting him play with a cast, but luckily - it's just t-ball and it's so casual (parents randomly run out onto the field to guide their children to the correct base :) ). Unfortunately, he couldn't get in to get the cast on Monday, which left me wondering what I should do. He obviously wasn't going to be able to play that night without the cast, but if there was a chance for later I wanted him to be there to support his team. And I was torn whether or not he'd be excited to still be there and be a part of his team, or if it would be complete torture to make him sit there and watch everyone else have fun and play. I had a long talk with him and we decided we'd go to cheer them on and hopefully he'd get to play another day. He did pretty well. The first half of the game he was over with his team and I guess he kept telling the parents and the coach, "I bet I could do it, I really think I could, go ask my Mom, I think it's OK." I had another mom and the coach come up to me separate times asking me if he could play and I had to tell them no, then I kept going to talk to him to remind him that we couldn't let him play without the cast and that hopefully he could next time. The second half of the game, he just couldn't take it anymore. He went behind the field where there are a bunch of pine trees and he found a stick and a pine cone and made his own little game. He would throw the pine cone up in the air and hit it with the stick, then run around a tiny little diamond yelling, "He's going, he's going!" :) With one broken hand in a sling, a tiny stick, and a pine cone - he could STILL hit :) Nothing was going to keep this kid away from baseball :)
Friday, June 7, 2013
First game - on the DL
Posted by Kerr Family at 3:09 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)
0 comments:
Post a Comment